The fast growth of biological data has produced a huge amount of information. It is obvious that without using new information technology it is not possible to manage this data. Although computer science and information science are two majors that are used in all current sciences, as knowledge related to medicine and health is now the biggest and the most challenging area of knowledge, Bioinformatics has become a unique academic field of science.
Bioinformatics is a novel field of science, which incorporates, applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, artificial intelligence, biochemistry and biology to answer the questions and aided in cellular and molecular biologic issues.
The key areas of research in bioinformatics are:
- Modeling existing structures as symbols of data and information that makes the relationship of concepts and facts more clear.
- Development and enhancement of computer aided systems to increase the quality of patient treatment and biomedical research.
- Bioinformatics work flow management systems.
- Developing ways to assess models and systems of research in health, data mining, education and management.
- Drug lead identification and optimization, using computer, for high-throuput docking and quantitative biological activity prediction.